When your ESXi hosts are all setup up in vCenter and using HA and DRS but a blip happens, the power goes or a host has a moment “not responding”.
In this scenario we powered off the ESXi host.
What can you check?
Possible options. Try reconnecting the host if there has been no other changes
Watch the status bar for progress
What if it fails to connect like in the image below
- Don’t forget a few basic connectivity checks like…Can you ping the host?
- Can you connect to the ESXi host by DNS name or IP & local user and password using the vSphere client?
- Can you connect to any VMs which were / are still running on the disconnected host?
- Can you restart the management service on the ESXi host?
- Can you ilo to the ESXi host? Any errors /events logged on the host
- Any network switch down?
- Any SAN issues?
These are just a rough guide, it is no responsibility of the Author if you try any of these actions. Try at your own risk.