- Created an account – http://aws.amazon.com/
- Setup a Windows 10 client
- Installed using the download 3.4.3 x86 msi and ticked install paths.
Tried x64 installed and had a few errors trying 3.5 version
- The EB Command Line Interface (CLI), used the following the guide
- Followed the Amazon Install procedure below:
The Python Software Foundation provides installers for Windows that include pip.
To install Python 3.4, pip, and the EB CLI on Windows
- Install Python 3.4 from the downloads page of Python.org.
- Add the Python home and scripts directories to the Windows
Path system variable:
- Open the Windows Command Processor from the Start menu.
- Verify that Python and pip are both installed correctly with the following commands:
pip 6.0.8 from C:\Python34\lib\site-packages (python 3.4)
- Install the EB CLI using pip:
pip install awsebcli
Downloading awsebcli-3.2.2.tar.gz (828kB)
Collecting pyyaml>=3.11 (from awsebcli)
Downloading PyYAML-3.11.tar.gz (248kB)
Collecting cement==2.4 (from awsebcli)
Downloading cement-2.4.0.tar.gz (129kB)
Collecting python-dateutil<3.0.0,>=2.1 (from awsebcli)
Downloading python_dateutil-2.4.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl (188kB)
Collecting jmespath>=0.6.1 (from awsebcli)
Collecting six>=1.5 (from python-dateutil<3.0.0,>=2.1->awsebcli)
Installing collected packages: six, jmespath, python-dateutil, cement, pyyaml, awsebcli
Running setup.py install for jmespath
Running setup.py install for cement
Running setup.py install for pyyaml
checking if libyaml is compilable
Microsoft Visual C++ 10.0 is required (Unable to find vcvarsall.bat).
Running setup.py install for awsebcli
Installing eb-script.py script to C:\Python34\Scripts
Installing eb.exe script to C:\Python34\Scripts
Installing eb.exe.manifest script to C:\Python34\Scripts
Successfully installed awsebcli-3.2.2 cement-2.4.0 jmespath-0.6.2 python-dateutil-2.4.2 pyyaml-3.11 six-1.9.0
- Verify that the EB CLI is installed correctly:
EB CLI 3.2.2 (Python 3.4.3)
” Install Python, pip, and the EB CLI on Windows
Notes based on Amazon AWS – AWSome Day event in Manchester
These are unverified notes taken at the event. Detail may be incorrect, but hopefully provide a rough guide to AWS.
Covers AWS foundational services
- Gain a deeper understanding of AWS core and application services
- Learn how to deploy and automate infrastructure on the AWS
- CloudAmazon certification / accreditation ., platform accredited. Easier to accredit PCI DSS. Platform already done. You only need to accredit application
- AWS has different levels and costs of storage.
- Control the permissions of users and what they can spin up.
- S3 storage for the Internet. http or https, natively online, highly scalable, fast and reliable and fast Use case , OS, backups, databases
- EFS – multi attachment points – currently in preview mode
- AWS STORAGE GATEWAY backups. Local machine , virtual machine which interacts with the cloud
- Import and export supported USB devices or snowball a rack of storage.
- Move to the cloud -> EC2 auto scaling and ELB
- Cloud metrics will help size your EC2
- Trusted advisor basic is free (Cost optimisation advice)
- Auto scaling – schedule the scaling up and down.
- Scaling is free, you only pay for additional EC2s
- Cloud watch auto enabled when you spin up an EC2 for the hyper visor
- Tag each EC2 instance ( who built it, what’s does it do )
- Security Security groups, instance firewalls, VPC – Subnet control
- Cloud trail- enabled per region. This will monitor and track all Api calls. Everything in AWS is an API call.
- RDS – managed by AWS, backups & HA ( multi AZ required for no down time during patching)
- ElastiCache – put in front of an RDS for better performance
- Visual OPS third party app can create a formation template . Give it read access to map.. Give it write to create
- Cloud formation template and snapshot. Can restore and recover from an outage. Cloud formation gathers info on all VMs, networks & users and the template can recreate the full environment
- Amazon redshift – petabyte scale DB service
- Dynamo DB – no limits, Fast using SSD disks
- AWS Database
- Amazon route 53 is now a DNS registrar
- Most common issue is Security permissions as everything is blocked by default.
- user accounts – individual AWS credentials
- SSL endpoint – secure transmission
- Purchasing on demand, reserved or spot instances
- AWS marketplace
- EC2 VMs are tied to the location you created it under. You will not see the VM in another location.
- Start up- only pay when you start using
- A way of posting data to AWS.
- Volumes can be resized, snapshot and create a new volume of another. You can also shrink if required and data / space allows.
- EBS elastic storage, snapshots, single attachment. Can be detached & attached to another location
- Glacier storage.. Storage of stuff you hope you never see again but you need to keep., like tax documents for seven years. Costs more to retrieve the data back. Encrypted.
- Lamba websites, takes uploaded images, watermarks and optimises and uploads
- AWS Simple money calculator
- Create unique buckets for each of your projects
- Learn identity & access management
- Amazon RDS. Managing the patching, high availability. Reduces engineer time spent wasted patching. It’s done automatically. Same as spinning up services in other Zones for resilience
- Register for aws for free and get Ec2 free tier for a year