Successfully Completed : AWS Certification Exam Readiness Workshop : AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
Sharing a useful post I’ve come across on AWS (IT Study Notes by Tim Kendall)
Online Resources – AWS CSA
Each of the below links have been carefully sourced to give you accurate information to help study for the AWS CSA Associate exam.
Amazon Web Services – Whitepapers – https://aws.amazon.com/whitepapers/
Amazon Web Services – FAQ’s – https://aws.amazon.com/faqs/
Amazon Web Services – Exam Blueprint – https://d0.awsstatic.com/training-and-certification/docs-sa-assoc/AWS_certified_solutions_architect_associate_blueprint.pdf
Jayendra’s Blog – http://www.jayendrapatil.com
ACloudGuru – https://acloud.guru
Booking the Exam
The exam is not taken with AWS directly, it is booked via WebAssessor and the exam is taken at Prometric Test Centre’s (UK). Click the below link and click ‘Schedule an exam’
VMware Cloud on AWS Technical Overview
Yesterday we launched the VMware Cloud on AWS service. VMware Cloud on AWS allows you to run your applications across private, public, and hybrid cloud environments based on VMware vSphere, with optimized access to AWS services. The Cloud SDDC consists of vSphere, NSX and vSAN technology to provide you a familiar environment which can be […] The post VMware Cloud on AWS Technical Overview appeared first on frankdenneman.nl .
- Created an account – http://aws.amazon.com/
- Setup a Windows 10 client
- Installed using the download 3.4.3 x86 msi and ticked install paths.
Tried x64 installed and had a few errors trying 3.5 version
- The EB Command Line Interface (CLI), used the following the guide
- Followed the Amazon Install procedure below:
The Python Software Foundation provides installers for Windows that include pip.
To install Python 3.4, pip, and the EB CLI on Windows
- Install Python 3.4 from the downloads page of Python.org.
- Add the Python home and scripts directories to the Windows
- Open the Windows Command Processor from the Start menu.
- Verify that Python and pip are both installed correctly with the following commands:
python --versionPython 3.4.3 C:\Windows\System32>
pip --versionpip 6.0.8 from C:\Python34\lib\site-packages (python 3.4)
- Install the EB CLI using pip:
pip install awsebcliCollecting awsebcli Downloading awsebcli-3.2.2.tar.gz (828kB) Collecting pyyaml>=3.11 (from awsebcli) Downloading PyYAML-3.11.tar.gz (248kB) Collecting cement==2.4 (from awsebcli) Downloading cement-2.4.0.tar.gz (129kB) Collecting python-dateutil<3.0.0,>=2.1 (from awsebcli) Downloading python_dateutil-2.4.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl (188kB) Collecting jmespath>=0.6.1 (from awsebcli) Downloading jmespath-0.6.2.tar.gz Collecting six>=1.5 (from python-dateutil<3.0.0,>=2.1->awsebcli) Downloading six-1.9.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl Installing collected packages: six, jmespath, python-dateutil, cement, pyyaml, awsebcli Running setup.py install for jmespath Running setup.py install for cement Running setup.py install for pyyaml checking if libyaml is compilable Microsoft Visual C++ 10.0 is required (Unable to find vcvarsall.bat). skipping build_ext Running setup.py install for awsebcli Installing eb-script.py script to C:\Python34\Scripts Installing eb.exe script to C:\Python34\Scripts Installing eb.exe.manifest script to C:\Python34\Scripts Successfully installed awsebcli-3.2.2 cement-2.4.0 jmespath-0.6.2 python-dateutil-2.4.2 pyyaml-3.11 six-1.9.0
- Verify that the EB CLI is installed correctly:
eb --versionEB CLI 3.2.2 (Python 3.4.3)
Notes based on Amazon AWS – AWSome Day event in Manchester
These are unverified notes taken at the event. Detail may be incorrect, but hopefully provide a rough guide to AWS.
Covers AWS foundational services
- Gain a deeper understanding of AWS core and application services
- Learn how to deploy and automate infrastructure on the AWS
- CloudAmazon certification / accreditation ., platform accredited. Easier to accredit PCI DSS. Platform already done. You only need to accredit application
- AWS has different levels and costs of storage.
- Control the permissions of users and what they can spin up.
- S3 storage for the Internet. http or https, natively online, highly scalable, fast and reliable and fast Use case , OS, backups, databases
- EFS – multi attachment points – currently in preview mode
- AWS STORAGE GATEWAY backups. Local machine , virtual machine which interacts with the cloud
- Import and export supported USB devices or snowball a rack of storage.
- Move to the cloud -> EC2 auto scaling and ELB
- Cloud metrics will help size your EC2
- Trusted advisor basic is free (Cost optimisation advice)
- Auto scaling – schedule the scaling up and down.
- Scaling is free, you only pay for additional EC2s
- Cloud watch auto enabled when you spin up an EC2 for the hyper visor
- Tag each EC2 instance ( who built it, what’s does it do )
- Security Security groups, instance firewalls, VPC – Subnet control
- Cloud trail- enabled per region. This will monitor and track all Api calls. Everything in AWS is an API call.
- RDS – managed by AWS, backups & HA ( multi AZ required for no down time during patching)
- ElastiCache – put in front of an RDS for better performance
- Visual OPS third party app can create a formation template . Give it read access to map.. Give it write to create
- Cloud formation template and snapshot. Can restore and recover from an outage. Cloud formation gathers info on all VMs, networks & users and the template can recreate the full environment
- Amazon redshift – petabyte scale DB service
- Dynamo DB – no limits, Fast using SSD disks
- AWS Database
- Amazon route 53 is now a DNS registrar
- Most common issue is Security permissions as everything is blocked by default.
- user accounts – individual AWS credentials
- SSL endpoint – secure transmission
- Purchasing on demand, reserved or spot instances
- AWS marketplace
- EC2 VMs are tied to the location you created it under. You will not see the VM in another location.
- Start up- only pay when you start using
- A way of posting data to AWS.
- Volumes can be resized, snapshot and create a new volume of another. You can also shrink if required and data / space allows.
- EBS elastic storage, snapshots, single attachment. Can be detached & attached to another location
- Glacier storage.. Storage of stuff you hope you never see again but you need to keep., like tax documents for seven years. Costs more to retrieve the data back. Encrypted.
- Lamba websites, takes uploaded images, watermarks and optimises and uploads
- AWS Simple money calculator
- Create unique buckets for each of your projects
- Learn identity & access management
- Amazon RDS. Managing the patching, high availability. Reduces engineer time spent wasted patching. It’s done automatically. Same as spinning up services in other Zones for resilience
- Register for aws for free and get Ec2 free tier for a year